For our "Reach New Heights" event one of the topics we discussed were the 8 "mountain levels" we ascend to get closer to God. The spiritual climb begins on the faith ledge as we seek to reach the beautiful peak to find perfect love. Trust is necessary for those who climb the mountain. We get a sure footing on this ledge by believing in God, knowing He is real and understanding that He loves us. Our faith isn’t only a feeling but inspires the way we live. Because God loved us first we strive for certain principals that help us handle what's given to us in our lives. Of course the mountain climb is no walk in the park with some stumbles and falls along the way. But here we know even when we encounter setbacks our loving Father will LIFT us back up and lead us on the right trail.
"And for this very reason make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love." - 2 Peter 1 5-7
- Faith: Brings us into relationship with God through Jesus Christ.
- Virtue: Seeks the character of God as the standard and goal for our own character.
- Knowledge: Describes what God is like and what we should strive to be.
- Self Control: Enables us to curb our physical passions and emotions to be good examples and be used mightily by God.
- Steadfastness: Allows us to persist in our pursuit even if we suffer doing so.
- Godliness: Consistency of our actions. Practicing and applying these attributes in our daily lives.
- Brotherly Kindness: Love that is directed toward fellow believers. Involves holding each other accountable, letting go past grudges and a love that “should” be mutual.
- Agape Love: It is the love which applies to both believers and to those of different faiths and beliefs. Agape love is not prompted by what the other person is or does, but by a love rooted in what God is. It is the love of God that flows through us.
Nicholas Bowden (@nickworldtour) is Co-Founder and leader of The LIFT Project. He Graduated from Seton Hall University and is a teacher in Central New Jersey. He enjoys playing competitive sports, traveling, trying new food, and catching up on comic books in his free time.